Population of main metropolitan areas:
Rome (2,808,300); Milan (1,406,300); Naples (948,900); Turin (858,000); Palermo (647,500); Genova (565,800); Bologna (395,500); Florence (367,000); Bari (315,300)
According to the Italian National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT
), the majority of the population is of Italian ethnic origin (around 93%). Of the remaining 7%, many are of Romanian, North African, Albanian or Chinese origin.
Italian is the official language, but there are some regions with linguistic minority groups, including Alto Adige (German) and Aoste (French).
Other Languages Spoken:
The use of dialects is very common in Italy. Albanian is spoken by approximately 120,000 people (80,000 of which reside in southern Italy). Approximately 1.2 million people in Sardinia speak Sardinian, with 20,000 in the northeast also speaking Gallurese.
An increasing number of Italians have some knowledge of English, but it is advisable to correspond in Italian for initial contact. This could speed up communication and help avoid misunderstandings. In any case, most firms are able to communicate in English.
Catholic 83.4%, No religion 16.1%, Other 0.5%.
It is %T:%M %A In Rome, Milan
Exchange Rate on
National Currency: Euro (EUR)
Type of State:
Republic based on a parliamentary democracy.
Type of Economy:
High-income economy, OECD member, G8 member.
Reliance on imports of raw materials and energy; large public debt (over 100% of GDP)
HDI (World Rank):
Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.
To call from Italy, dial 00
To call Italy, dial +39
36.7 per 100 Inhabitants
35.5 per 100 Inhabitants
58.0 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity:
100% of the Population
© eexpand, All Rights Reserved.
Latest Update: September 2023