Population of main cities:
Cairo (9,293,700); Alexandria (5,107,600); Giza (4,212,800); Subra Al-Haymah (1,187,800); Port Said (760,200); Suez (740,900); Mansoura (570,300); El Mahalla El Kubra (543,300); Tanta (528,700)
The Egyptian population is ethnically very homogeneous. More than 99% of the population is of Egyptian origin.
Classic Arabic is the official language of the State; however, only about 50% of the population understands it. Egyptian Arabic (Masri) is the language spoken by the entire population.
Other Languages Spoken:
Armenian, Domari, Nubian and Dongola.
Egyptian Arabic and English. Some members of the business community also speak French and German.
93.8% of Egyptians are Muslims (predominantly Sunni). The other religions represent 6.2% of the population. Coptic Christians form the main religious minority and the primary Christian community of the East.
It is %T:%M %A In Cairo
Exchange Rate on
National Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)
Type of State:
Republic based on the Constitution adopted by referendum in January 2014 (amended in 2019). The State has a presidential system of Government.
Type of Economy:
Lower-middle-income economy; Emerging financial market.
The Egyptian economy essentially relies on tourism, revenue from the Suez Canal, revenue from private transfers and the export of oil and gas.
HDI (World Rank):
Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.
To call from Egypt, dial 00
To call Egypt, dial +20
3.7 per 100 Inhabitants
10.2 per 100 Inhabitants
44.1 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity:
100% of the Population
© eexpand, All Rights Reserved.
Latest Update: September 2023